South of the Vierstraat to Whyteshaete road, the 2nd Battalion started in March 1915, to build a small regimental cemetery for their war dead who had fallen in battle in the preceding days.
Behind the position of this photograph, Pioneers from the Battalion started to gather the Regiment's war dead together following the attacks of the 16th March.
In the days that followed, eighteen men of the Battalion would be buried there and although there would be many other cemeteries across the world containing fallen Suffolk soldiers, this was one of the first.
Welcome to our online 'blog' charting the history of the many Battalions of the Suffolk Regiment and the part they played in the Great War.
Starting back in March 2014, we have recorded the events of 100 years ago on the centenary of their happening.
Keep checking back to see how the Great War is progressing for the men of the Suffolk Regiment.