The Restoration of The Bury St. Edmunds Branch Standard
The Friends have always been hugely supportive of the Old Comrades Association and in June of 2013, we were approached by the Bury St. Edmunds branch with a rather unusual request. The branch asked the Friends for assistance in repairing their old branch standard which was over 25 years old and now in need of a little TLC. The standard, known as the "Stabilis Standard" was presented to the Branch by 5835625, Ex-Sgt Jack Doughty at the Minden Reunion Dance, 2nd August 1986. After years of service, it was a little worn and dirty and in places, the fabric had worn through from the front to the back. After taking the standard to the conservators, an initial cost in excess of £1000 was estimated to have the standard dissected and its major components replaced on a new background. This was far too much for the Branch to spend and in desperation with Minden Day approaching, they asked the Friends for assistance. Liking a challenge, we felt that we could help them with their task. Within days, the old logo (identical to the O.C.A. lapel badge) was removed, and piece by piece, each letter from both sides were replaced onto new backgrounds. With the two sides sewn together, the old fringe reinstated, and a new pole sleeve attached, the standard was delivered back to the Branch the week before Minden Day. Cost - no more than £40.00 for raw materials and cottons. It was great to see it, along with the standards of all the other branches of the O.C.A. at Minden Day, and the 'new' standard was suitably decked with roses in respect of the Regimental tradition. The Friends are proud to have been asked to undertake such a unique regimental commission and consider it an honour to have been able to keep in service for another 50 years, the third oldest standard in the Suffolk Regiment Old Comrades Association.
The Friends always support the OCA and ensure that the living legacy of the Suffolk Regiment is not forgotten.
Main Picture: The Dance Band of the 2nd Battalion at Mhow, India, 1935.