On 11th July 1915, the War Diary for the 2nd Battalion noted that: "Battalion moved. A+B & HQ Coy going into the ramparts Ypres, C+D Coys going into dugouts in Sanctuary Wood"
Taking his platoon from A Company back into the wrecked town was Captain W.B. Higgins who had recorded that historic meeting of the 1st and 2nd Battalions at Westoutre earlier on in the year.
Higgins took with him his trusty camera and recorded his new home. The photograph left, shows the state of the town at that time, before the major bombardments began later that year.
The ramparts were constructed at the end of the 17th century by the French military engineer, Vauban when the town was under French occupation.
It would be here in these ramparts later on in the war, that the famous soldiers periodical, the 'Wipers Times' would be complied and printed.
Welcome to our online 'blog' charting the history of the many Battalions of the Suffolk Regiment and the part they played in the Great War.
Starting back in March 2014, we have recorded the events of 100 years ago on the centenary of their happening.
Keep checking back to see how the Great War is progressing for the men of the Suffolk Regiment.