The History of The Suffolk Regiment does not stop within the confines of the borders of Suffolk.
As far back as 1880's, The Suffolk Regiment was closely linked with the county of Cambridgeshire. When The Cambridgeshire Regiment was formed in 1908, the permanent staff came from The Suffolk Regiment and later after amalgamation of the Regular Battalions, both Regiments merged to become The Suffolk and Cambridgeshire Regiment (T.A.) We therefore extended our organisation to include the Cambridgeshire's as they have always been part of our regimental family. We also encompass the yeomanry too. Between 1793 and 1961, the Duke of York's Own Loyal Suffolk Hussars were in existence in the county of Suffolk. It came under the wing of the Regiment in 1917 as the 15th (Suffolk Yeomanry) Battalion, when they converted to infantry. Later they parted company with us to become 55th (Anti-Tank) Regiment, Royal Artillery and later as 220th Battery, Royal Artillery. As they wore 'our' badge in 1918, when they briefly became part of us, we include them too as part of our family as well. There were also other small units that were part of the Regiment during its existence. Just before the Second World War, a unit of the Auxiliary Territorial Service (A.T.S.) was formed at Gibraltar Barracks at Bury St. Edmunds, and by 1940, they had been officially brought under the control of the Regiment. 40th (Suffolk) Platoon, A.T.S., served at the Depot until 1946 and wore the collar badge of the Suffolk Regiment on their uniform to show their official affiliation to the Regiment. Also, from late 1940, the administration of the newly formed Home Guard, became the responsibility of the Suffolk Regiment. By 1941, there were over 27 Battalions of Home Guard stationed around Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, which wore the badges of their affiliated Regiments. These units played an important role in the Nations defence and rightly deserve a place within our Regimental family. Finally, since the earliest days of the Militia force, affiliations with the Regiment and local public schools had been encouraged. Many of the regions private schools; Ipswich, Woodbridge, Culford, Framlingham, etc. have furnished many men who served within the Regiment. By the 1950s, these links were so strong that an entire battalion, the 5th (Cadet) Battalion was affiliated to the Regiment. As they wore the Regimental badge, they are also part of the family.
By clicking on the photographs below, you can discover a little about these units and their histories: